Why is it taking so long for you to pay me?
AVBOB is a licensed FSP and as a result, we are subject to a long list of statutes and regulations which are overseen by the
FSB. Insurance fraud is rife in the industry. We are held responsible for the systems and processes to combat such crimes and have therefore
employed the services of an external company called CENSEO.
They assist us in scrutinising and investigating claims to ensure that our clients do not suffer any prejudice.
This doesn’t mean that we doubt the validity of your claim but we have to ensure that we manage and minimise the risks associated with
fraudulent claims. Once this process is completed and no irregularities are found the claim will be admitted.
How will I be kept updated on my claim?
As soon as your claim is submitted you will receive an SMS to make you aware that your claim is at AVBOB and being processed.
A second SMS will be sent to you to inform you that the claim has been selected for assessment by CENSEO.
It is essential to answer all private number calls after you have submitted your claim, as a CENSEO consultant will be in touch with you to
verify your claim details. This call is very important, by answering it and all questions from the consultant you are able to speed up your
Will AVBOB confirm to the private funeral parlour that my claim will be paid?
Once your claim has been cleared by CENSEO, we will process the claim immediately and you will be informed thereof.
When you sold the policy to me you promised the money will be paid within forty-eight (48) hours?
Yes that is true and once the relevant documentation has been verified as authentic and legitimate, your claim will be processed within forty-eight (48) hours.
We do always inform our clients that terms and conditions apply and the validation of a claim do qualify as applicable T&C’s.
I may just mention to you that we can also conduct the funeral for you and if you choose for us to do the funeral, it will speed the process up.
It is however entirely your choice and you are under no obligation to make use of our services.
How long will it take?
It is not possible to give you an exact time and it can take up to twenty one (21) days.
We will do our best to expedite the process but unfortunately we cannot give you an exact date.
Why are claims being validated/audited?
Insurance companies all over South Africa are experiencing a huge increase in fraud. A large percentage of such cases are related to
stolen Identity Documents.
We have an obligation to protect our clients and the organisation against such crimes and therefore we have to validate some claims.
We select a percentage of all claims randomly for assessment and depending on circumstances; it may take up to twenty one (21) days to conclude.
On average, it only takes three (3) days to complete and then your claim will receive priority for processing and payment at our Claims
Does this mean my claim will not be paid?
No, the fact that your claim will be assessed doesn’t mean that your claim will automatically be rejected.
Once it has been found that there are no irregularities associated with your claim, it will be honoured by us and payment will be made without
Who are the claimants on a policy?
If the main assured is still alive, the proceeds are paid to him/her.
If he/she has died then the nominated beneficiary receives the claim values, if no beneficiary was nominated or the nominated beneficiary is
deceased, then the spouse claims, in the absence of a spouse, the premium payer and in their absence, it will be a person designated by
This could be the parents, children, siblings of the deceased.
If the assured on a J19 dies the claimant will be the premium payer.
If there are two policies covering the deceased and the funeral is conducted by AVBOB Funeral Service, can I receive my claim value in cash?
Yes, provided the total cost of the funeral/tombstone order has been paid in full.
What to do when a death occurs
If you choose to use AVBOB Funeral Service, you must contact your local AVBOB representative as soon as
possible so that arrangements can be
made for the removal of the deceased from the place of death.
Since it is required by law that all deaths must be registered, AVBOB will assist you to do so and will require the following:
The Identity Document of the deceased (should the deceased not be a South African Citizen, his/her passport is required).
A medical certificate completed and signed by the deceased’s doctor (AVBOB can assist in obtaining this).
Documents we will require to process all claims promptly:
Death Certificate, as well as a copy of the first page of the BI1663 (previous), or pages 1-, 2- and 3 of 3 of the BI1663 (latest) form.
Policy document or schedule/certificate.
Claimant’s Declaration (available at an AVBOB agency)
Medicate Certificate (available at an AVBOB Agency for completion by the deceased’s family doctor)
SAPS Declaration when the death is caused by unnatural causes (available at an AVBOB agency for completion by the
Do AVBOB's Funeral Services:
- Use modern, hygienic mortuary facilities and offer a wide range of quality products
such as caskets, tombstones, hearses and grave-side facilities? Yes
- Arrange additional services such as catering, family cars, buses and tents and
chairs at the house? Yes
- Take care of all aspects of the burial and can they offer me products and services
to suit my cultural and religious preferences? Yes
- Offer a lay-by option on tombstones? Yes
- Have compassionate, experienced staff available 24-hours a day, who can take me
step by step through the whole funeral process and help me with filling out the
relevant documentation, registering the death and processing funeral claims? Yes
- Have 150 branches countrywide and can they repatriate the body of the deceased
anywhere in South Africa? Yes
As an AVBOB policyholder:
- Can AVBOB settle claims within forty-eight 48-hours? Yes
- Can I take out a loan against my policy? Yes, terms and conditions apply
- Is there an option to provide cover for extended family members? Yes
- Can the whole family, single-parent family or just a single person be covered? Yes
- After the cost of the funeral is deducted, will the balance of the assured sum be paid out to a nominated beneficiary? Yes
- Does AVBOB have special benefits and discounts for policyholders? Yes
- Do I receive company profits paid back to me as benefits? Yes
As an AVBOB policyholder, will AVBOB's Funeral Services include:
- A FREE basic funeral if the policy is two years or older? Yes
- FREE transportation of the deceased within the borders of South Africa? Yes
- R1000 cash upfront for initial expenses? Yes
- Plus, you also get a 15% addition to the sum assured on the main life which, if needed, may be converted into a six month Retrenchment Benefit? Yes
- A FREE specified coffin? Yes
- FREE use of a specified hearse? Yes
- The arrangement of the funeral? Yes
- The execution of the funeral? Yes
- The collection and transportation of your loved one to the AVBOB mortuary? Yes
- The use of AVBOB’s mortuary facilities? Yes
- Graveside tent and 10 chairs? Yes
- Preparation of the deceased and coffining (Preparing loved one for burial/cremation)? Yes
- Assistance with the completion of all official documents? Yes
- A R250 contribution to a funeral notice in a newspaper of choice? Yes
- An ash coffin (where applicable)? Yes
- The use of a lowering device at the graveside? Yes
Does AVBOB's Cashback Lifestyle:
- Provide life insurance to anyone between the ages of 18 and 80? (at next birthday) Yes
- Pay back 20% of my premiums every 5 claim free years? Yes
- Pay back this 20% in cash? Yes
- Provide disability benefits for loss of vision, speech, amputations, quadriplegia and paraplegia? Yes
- Provide critical illness benefits for heart attacks, strokes, coronary, artery bypass grafts and cancer? Yes
- Provide an optional savings benefit? Yes
- Include company profits paid back to me as special bonuses and enhanced FREE funeral benefits? Yes